Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fifty Shades

I'm sure you've heard of that book, or should I say, the series. 

When I first got all there, borrowed from a friend, I was not aware of the history of the books. Just what I had heard in regard to it being "mommy porn". 

I was all set to start reading when a co-worker gave me some back story on the books that made me think twice about reading them.
Maybe you already know this information? It was news to me but then I don't follow stuff that closely.

** Spoiler Alert**

Fifty Shades is based on the Twilight characters, Edward and Bella.
James was a fan fiction writer on the Meyers website until it was made clear people were not open to her view of the characters.
The names changed and the circumstances. 
It's them in a parallel universe.
******

This gave me pause but I went ahead and started reading.
Once I did, it became clear to me just how similar even though different the characters were. I was told to keep reading that  once I got to the third book answers would be there. 

**Spoiler Alert**

NOT! I read all three. Waiting for a story. Waiting for it to have some depth. Waiting.... waiting... it never came ( pun intended!)
******
I found the writing to be juvenile and lack in follow through.
She gets very graphic but then stopped short at certain places, 
like she didn't have the nerve or know how to go all the way.

I was not impressed.

Maybe you will be.

No comments: