Friday, March 4, 2011

Consumers Beware

Got a call yesterday that threw me into a tizzy.
 It was from a collection agency. First thing my mind starts spinning. Collections. What?
The man goes onto explain the account, balance and then he mentions the last activity on the account.
1992. WHAT?
By this time I'm really confused. Trying to grasp the whole of it.
He says we need to set up payment arrangements. I tell him this debt is not owed. He says the credit card company has no record of it being paid off. I'm a little lost because it's been over 19 years and I no longer have that card, no paperwork and I don't have a clue what he is talking about. I just know that I owe nothing.
He tells me to send proof it's cleared but if I can't find any... after 19 years, come on, and if I call back within 72 hours he is authorized to reduce the debt by 30%.
My exact words. "I will NEVER pay you"

I get his info. Hang up and call my sister. She helped me calm down and we talked it out. That always help me figure things out.
We do a little research on the computer.

AH HA! It's a scam.
The collection agency tries to get you to commit to payment even though you don't owe the debt. Once you commit to paying them it's a NEW oral agreement and you now owe that money.

SCAM!!!!

Even if the debt was owed (which it is not), the Statue of Limitations has run out for my state so they're not able to collect or turn any info over to the credit bureau either way. They know this but they try anyway.
WHAT A CROCK!

Beware. Don't commit to anything. Don't give any information.
If you ever get a call like this, ask their name, company name, address and phone number. Then hang up.
Here is a couple very handy links that helped me.
Thought I'd pass it along in case it can help someone else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for the heads up. we're starting to get calls again after years of being on the do not call registry. guess i need to re-up.