In 1998 I got my first computer.
I stepped into the wide world web.
At the time I was also a beginner scrapbooker.
A friend told me about a email scrapbook group. I requested to join and was accepted. It was a lively group with a scrapbook swap happening every month. What started out as just scrapbook talk turned into talking about everything.
We shared it all and had contact about 10 times a day.
When the conversation turned to "we should all meet" I was the first to jump and invite everyone to my house. I don't remember the exact number of members back then but it was more than 10 less that 25. Before I knew it the date had been set and woman from all over the country were coming to my house for the weekend.
My in person friends thought I was crazy to host the first event. I didn't "know" these woman, but I did and I trusted in them. It turned out to be one of the best weekends.
Not everyone was able to make it but it started the ball and then we decided to do it again. It was a chance for us to meet more of our group. That time we all met in Missouri.
That was when I first met Kel, our leader. I was thrilled to meet her at last and to have a face
to connect to the name.
I still have the pages in my album that I look at every so often and I remember how much fun we had.
It's a cherished memory.
My Internet friends.
We had many many good times on that group. We also has some disagreements and the group changed. People came and people went but the majority of us stayed intact.
Then came yahoo groups and we merged into that. Soon life was taking over. We stopped have swaps and secret pals but we promised to still stay in touch. Soon there were less and less emails.
Then came Facebook.
We all found each other again and even though we didn't always have direct contact. We stayed connected through our pages
Today we received the sad news. Our much too young friend is gone. Having passed away in her sleep Christmas eve.
My heart breaks for her family, as I am having trouble with this news I can only imagine their pain.
I was a small simple email group which created friendships that have latest through the years and I give credit to
Kel for keeping us going.
She was a devoted mother, loving wife, talented scrapbooker and a wonderful friend.
I hope she knew how much she was loved.
Goodbye my friend. You will be missed.

1 comment:
What a sweet tribute to such a wonderful friend. I still can't believe she's gone. I will be forever grateful that she brought us all together.
Post a Comment