Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

Handsome's Uncle passed away on Saturday. We knew it was coming but that doesn't make it easier. He was diagnosed 8 months ago with Acute Leukemia. I'm sad for my father in law, this is his second and last sibling he has lost to cancer. How awful to be the only one left. I also feel much sadness for the widow. They were high school sweethearts, married 51 years. I cannot even begin to imagine her grief.

I have spent this week getting us ready for the funeral on Friday. Today I placed the order for flowers from our side of the family. I went to my favorite little florist shop here in town. I'd never purchased flowers there before but have browsed her shop many times. She has the most wonderful window displays and such fun finds inside. I've never had to order flowers for such an occasion so I was going in blind. I chose the perfect place. She was so kind, as she always is. Turns out she knew Handsome's Uncle. Of course she did. This is a small town and they both grew up here. I was the bearer of bad news. I would guess she hears a lot of bad news. She walked me through the main idea, helping me understand that the flowers did not have to match the main arrangements, different is okay. I got the order placed and after doing so felt much better knowing that she would take care in making sure it was done right. I highly recommend the "Potpourri Basket" for all your flower needs. They are wonderful.

No comments: