Friday, April 6, 2012

It's always an adventure

It's never boring, that's for sure

On the way out of town Monday morning I noticed my rear tire was low. I filled it up and then checked it. It had a nail in it. Called Handsome, he said it would probably be fine. We discussed that when I arrived at my location I would have it plugged.

All was fine on the way there but once we arrived I discovered the Walmart I was working out did not in fact have a Auto Shop. Tire seemed fine and was holding air so I wasn't too concerned.

Woke up Tuesday morning expecting to work a couple hours and then head home. Found out that was wrong. The night crew had a major problem, much work left to do. We had a full day of work ahead of us. Also discovered my cell phone was dead. This really surprised me as it's never gone dead before.

When we got to work I bought a car charger and plugged in my phone to let it charge all day. When the day was over I discovered charger was not charging. Phone still dead.
Since we had worked 8 hours we received paid diner. We all decided to hit the highway towards home and stop at the next town for dinner. After dinner we went out separate ways. I stopped for gas and to check the tire. All was fine.

By this time it was dark and starting pouring down rain.
We (my work friend and I) were on the road about 45minutes. Middle of now where when my tire blew out. Thankful I didn't lose control of the car but I did have to stop and pull over. 
She checked her phone, no cell service. I get out of the car and unpack the trunk and get out the spare. 
Not much I can do in the dark so once it was loaded back in we drove, very slowly with hazards, on to the next exit. Cell service restored. Thankfully her phone was working.
We called 911 and they patched us through to a tow company. While on hold the CHP came to check on us. He said he would make some calls to find us repair. 
While he did that I thought since I now had his headlights I could attempt the change the tire. He decided to assist me when the call came back that no tow trucks were available. 
Together we got it changed. I was very helpful in holding the flashlight. He instructed us that the next exit up had a gas station. He would follow us, going slowly to that location.

We were never so happy to see the lights of the gas station. It was short lived though as when I got out to put in the air, the nozzle was broken. I ran inside to see if they had a attachment. Nope, sorry. I explained my situation. A very nice man at the counter said he had air on his truck. He could help me out. AH, THANK YOU.
The officer waited for us to get filled with air and back on the road. The nice man in the truck filled and checked the pressure.

We were on the road again. 

I'm sending a thank you note to the officer and also a formal letter to his commanding officer that I hope will go in his file. He was very kind to help us.
I wish I'd gotten the name of the man in the truck. I do have the company name so I think with some research I could find out more info. I plan to do that and send a thank you note/letter to him as well.

It was a long night but we made it home safe and sound with the help of strangers. 

Now it's my turn to "pay it forward"

No comments: